ABOUT THIS WEBLOG

The purpose of my trip was to take up an invitation to spend a week with best mate of 43 years, also from Melbourne, who owns a modest apartment in the Slovenian coastal town of Piran, on the Adriatic Coast.

My trip was from July 18 to August 11 2016, starting and finishing at Melbourne's international airport. The Slovenian segment was from July 29 to August 6, which took us through some of Western Slovenia's spectacular alpine scenery.

The European part of my trip commenced in Milan (Italy) whence I travelled by train through to Trieste, on the Slovenian border.

After leaving Slovenia, I travelled from Ljubljana through to Vienna, where I spent a few days, before flying back to Melbourne.

Note: Google Advertisements are enabled on this Blog!

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Tales, Trials and Tribulations - an Australian in Europe! (Flights - Part 2)

CHANGI TO MILAN
Boeing 777-300 ER
The journey from Changi to Milan on a Boeing 777-300ER started disastrously. EDT was 2.15 am,  but actual lift-off was at 3.30 am, due to "runway congestion". The huge plane was almost empty, and we were advised that we could sit or sleep in any unoccupied seats. The cabin was in darkness, with people hidden under blankets as shapeless mounds, some taking up three vacant seats. Some people sat and stared at nothing! A full meal arrived at 4.30 am, then lights-out. About fours out we hit daylight, somewhere over Pakistan. A sneak peek through the window showed nothing except the moon!

At about six hours out of Changi, the Flight Progress Screen showed us at the half-way point. So we droned on and on at 1000 km/hr. Another meal ("supper" I think) arrived at about four hours out from Milan when there was a course correction, somewhere over Iran. Two hours out "breakfast" was served and the descent started. About one hour to go, some good views of the Italian Alps, snow-covered, in blue skies.

Landing was at 9.15 am, flight time of 12hrs8mins, having made up the lost time in transit.

Customs, baggege collection, immigration, and passport control were very quick.

Then a taxi to town, EU90 (about AU140). 

VIENNA TO ZURICH 
Embraer Aircraft
After a few days in Vienna, I was ready to return to Australia.

Vienna International Airport is about 30 mins from the city centre, next to a large industrial complex and oil refinery. A night curfew operates, with no arrivals or departures between 11 pm and 6.00 am. I was incorrectly advised by the travel agent that I must check in not later before 3.00 am. This proved to be wrong, as the check-in counter closed at 11pm! I had arrived at the airport at 10.00 pm to be safe! The check-in person said I could have a nap in the departure lounge area, which remained open all night. Got the boarding passes for my three flights at 10.00 pm. There was a large-screen TV in the departure lounge area, showing Euopean soccer. 

My "nap" proved to be hopeless - with other travellers, I was forced to lie on the hard seats or couches. Nearby was a young man who had come prepared with a blanket and pillow! 

The refreshment kiosks closed at 11.00 pm, when the cleaning staff started their shift. The kiosks reopened at 4.00 am. The self-service drink and candy machines were open all-night. 

Zurich Departure Lounge
I was booked on a Helvetic Airlines Embraer-390 plane leaving at 6.30 am, a short 1hr15mins journey across the Alps to Zurich, in Switzerland. This was a twin-jet, 2-2 seating. Speed was 425 km/hr. The plane was parked out in the middle of the tarmac, reached by a bus. Breakfast was served, with many passengers playing with their laptops. Never heard of this aircraft type before! Touchdown was at 7.45 am. My next flight was 11.50 am, for Singapore.


The Embraer E-Jet family is a series of narrow-body medium-range twin-engine jet airliners produced by Brazilian aerospace conglomerate Embraer. Launched at the Paris Air Show in 1999, and entering production in 2002, the aircraft series has been a commercial success primarily for safety and efficiency offered by them.The aircraft is used by mainline and regional airlines around the world. Similkar to a 737, with 100 seats.

ZURICH TO SINGAPORE
A388 Singapore Airlines
Zurich airport is vast, and an underground train transports passengers between the terminals. 
 
Another long-haul flight, on an A388 Airbus, which took off at 11.45 am. I am in my usual aisle seat. This was 11hrs57mins, over daylight and darkness, with the blinds closed! 

This was scheduled to be on the ground at  Changi at 6.15 am, giving me 30 mins to get to the Gate for my next flight, leaving for Melbourne at 7.45 am. Changi is vast, with several terminals, and I managed to get to the Gate in time. I had wanted to change clothes, but when I got into the departure lounge, after passing through security, I discovered that there were no toilets, and I was prevented from returning to the main concourse to freshen up. Other people had the same problem. This is something which must be addressed by the authorities - even a notice at the entrance to the secure area advising "no WCs in the departure lounge" would be useful.



SINGAPORE TO MELBOURNE
The flight back to Melbourne was quick, downhill all the way, 6hrs52mins, on an A350-900 plane. Routing was over Western Australia, Adelaide, and in to Melbourne from the west. 

Flight Progress screeen - 3h18m to Melbourne!

And would you believe, my heavy blue wheeled bag was waiting for me at the luggage  carousel! 

 
  



  



  

No comments:

Post a Comment